Open navigation

How do I get my EHIC Card?

To be eligible for a card, you must be insured or covered by a state social security system in any Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Each traveller should have their own card.

Get your card

Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider. The European Commission's website provides national information and contact details per member state. 

What should I do if my local authority refuses to give me a European Health Insurance Card?

If you ask for the European Health Insurance Card, your local authority is obliged to provide you with one or, failing that, with a provisional replacement certificate if the card is not immediately available.

If you are unsure about your rights or need information on how to ensure that your right to an EHIC is respected by your national authorities, you can contact Your Europe Advice.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.