Open navigation

How do I travel in my own country (citizenship or residency country) with an Interrail Pass (inbound and outbound trip)?

Important notice!

Interrail travelers are not permitted to travel with their Interrail pass in their own country of residence. You can only have one outbound, and one inbound travel. So if you’re German, for example, you can’t cross Germany throughout your trip.

You can use your Interrail Global Pass to travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days.

If you need more than one outbound and inbound journey,  you can always buy additional point-to-point tickets from your country’s rail carrier.

What is an inbound/outbound journey?

  • The outbound journey can be used to travel from any location in your country of residence to the border, or an airport or port.
  • The inbound journey can be used to travel from the border, or an airport or port, back to the destination in your country of residence.

You may travel with more than one train, provided the trips are made within the same day (with exception of night trains), and it can be used at any point in your trip.

What is a Country of Residence?

The country in which you live and/or have citizenship for and/or are a legal resident of is considered your country of residence. This will be printed on your Pass in the top-right corner. Please also note that you will have to bring official proof that you are a citizen or resident of that country with you on your trip.

What can be used as proof of citizenship?

Your citizenship can be proven using a valid passport or an ID card. An ID card in this case is classed as an official ID document that allows you to travel across borders. Train staff have the right to check your nationality, so make sure you always have your passport or ID card with you.

A driving licence is not accepted as proof of citizenship.

What can be used as proof of residence?

Your residence can be proved with official government-issued residency papers. This must be a valid document that clearly shows that you're an official resident of the country you live in (for example, a residence card).

Your proof of residence will be accepted if:

  •        It is issued by the government.
  •        It is valid for the entire duration of your Interrail trip.
  •        It has an official mark or stamp from the issuing body.
  •        It clearly states the issuing country.
  •        It clearly states your name.

All UK Tier 1 to 5 Visas and the Spanish NIE are accepted as a proof as residency.

Documents such as bills, rental contracts or bank statements cannot be used. Travel visas and the residency field of a passport are also not accepted as proof of residency.

Mobile Pass - How do I enter my outbound and inbound dates on an Interrail Pass?

The app will prompt you by asking if you wish to use your outbound or inbound journey. Once added; the journey will show up in your trip with an “Out/In” badge and then you will be allowed to make this journey in your country of residence. Your ticket for this day will also indicate that you’ve used one of these journeys.

Do I need to be online? 

You need to be online to add these journeys to your Pass (but once added, you can enjoy the view and travel offline).

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.